Monday, March 8, 2010

Coming to Houston


Well...here we are, a mere three days from lift off when we jump on friendly Continental Airlines for our direct flight to Houston so I can make two book appearances and see lots of friends. It's been 12 years since I've been there, so I am mapquesting directions on how to get everywhere as I have quite forgotten how to get about the city.
For those of you who've not gotten my Facebook invites, I am appearing at Church of the Redeemer at 7:30 p.m. this Friday to talk about the book and then at 6:45 p.m. Wednesday the 17th at St. John the Divine Episcopal. The former is in the East End and the latter is in the far more ritzy River Oaks area. I'm hoping to touch base with lots of friends and of course show off Veeka who is pictured here in yet another of her ballet classes.
I also hope to get lots of face time with Texas botany such as its redbud trees and Indian paintbrush and bluebonnets. That's the main reason I'm showing up in March - to see all that - although I've been told Texas had a cold winter so everything is running late. Well...I didn't want to miss all the flowering trees up here in Maryland at the end of March, so I chose the second week of the month to head south to the Bayou City.
Things up here are doing fine although one of our associate publishers just quit the paper which put quite a chill into the newsroom which is still half-empty. I just came back from New York 10 days ago where I was doing research on a series I'm working on. Wouldn't you know it but I arrived just in time for a foot of snow. Then I drove to Virginia Beach last week to speak at Regent University and got MORE snow down there - even though they didn't see any of it in DC. That white stuff just follows me around.

No comments: