Thursday, January 24, 2008

A year ago: Veeka's court date


A year ago today (Jan. 25) I got custody of Miss Olivia Veronika. Funny, that strange court date seems truly like only a month ago; showing up at the courthouse early in the morning, meeting the interpreter who had no idea what she was doing, going through the formalities of a hearing with a judge who clearly was only half paying attention. But I got my little girl and brought her back with me that night to sleep with ME next to her instead of 16 other screaming kids. The photo here shows Veeka, myself and her cousin Lindsay at Christmas. Scroll back to this date in 2007 and see what Veeka looked like then!
Which brings up the current dilemma: how do I deal with the fact that every morning at 4 a.m. or so, I get a nocturnal visitor? She shows up, blanket in hand, next to my bed, expecting to crawl right in. She started this about 2 weeks ago. As she climbs up, my disgusted cats hop off. My friends tel me I have *got* to break her of this habit. Well, I tried leaving the baby gate up one night. When she encountered that early in the morning, her shrieks were enough to wake the dead.
So, if I reinstall the baby gate, there will be several nights more of dramatics. Any one else with this problem? I am assuming this will stop one way or another but I've let it go on in that it's kind of nice to wake up in the morning and have SOMEONE look back at you other than a kitty face.
Well, once I got custody, there disappeared something from my life called free time. It is impossible to do something like read the paper in peace, as Veeka constantly wants to be read to, talked with or something. I tried putting in a video of Snow White and the Seven Dwarves and she sat for that for a record-breaking 10 minutes before deciding she wanted my lap (and attention) instead. Singing "Someday my prince will come" along with the video did not draw her back into the story.
The speech therapy lessons is helping Veeka's vocabulary. Just tonight, she said "water" for me. This Saturday: Ballet lessons!

No comments: