Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Remembering the Japanese martyrs


Sigh - I really wish I took better photos but this is a recent one of Veeka and I. I spent today chasing a story about Obama's new "faith council" of pastors who are going to be - in theory at least - advising him on public policy matters. We shall see. I was a bit miffed at having to do the piece at all, as I thought it was something our 3-4 White House reporters should have been onto instead of me. But other news organizations were breaking this story by mid-day, so I knew we'd look bad if there were nothing on it by Thursday morning in our paper, so I offered to do.
One nice thing is that "Quitting Church" (and I) got profiled on Beliefnet.com if you want to check here to read it. And supposedly the book is reviewed in the February issue of Charisma but I've been unable to lay my hands on a copy nor can I locate the review online. I am also speaking about the book to Senate and House aides on Capitol Hill this Friday so things are humming.
Veeka is fine and we will be spending next week making Valentines for her little classmates.
And 412 years ago on Feb. 5, 123 Japanese Christians were crucified for their faith in Nagasaki. Fortunately things have improved since then for most of us although I wouldn't say it's exactly party time for those of the faith who live in North Korea and Iran.

No comments: