Saturday, January 6, 2007

Well, at least she stopped crying

Today - Saturday, Veeka's favorite caretaker, Lena, put the little girl in my arms and took off - saying she needed to concentrate on me. The child screamed for about 10 minutes, then, realizing I wasn't going anywhere, resorted to sniffles. Putting her on a window ledge so she could look outside calmed her a lot. Then we sat down and played with a stuffed toy my sister-in-law Susan gave me - and the kid actually figured out the red fuzzy thing went in the red hole. Not bad for 20 months. At one point she calmed down enough to nearly fall asleep in my arms - until the photographer showed up to take her picture for the passport. It was a riot watching 2 men coo at her in Russian to try to get her to look straight at them.

The other bright spot was my parents' phone call at about 8 a.m. - they were calling 6 p.m. Seattle time - it was sure nice hearing from overseas. Anyone so minded is welcome to call my cell phone here - 011-7-7701-541-6476. Remember the 11-hour time difference from the east coast! I am usually in my room most evenings - a good time. Or 7:45 a.m. my time isn't bad either - that gives me time to talk before going down to breakfast then to the orphanage.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Veeka is adorable, and don't despair about her crying. There will always be times when you can't comfort her, but most of the time you will be able to. Jamie and I prayed for you today and I am praying every day. I will try to call soon. Love, Gail

Bobby said...

Julia: well she's cute as a button and we're very excited about our new granddaughter - even if she has given you a rough time. Wait til she's 16 years old!!! Stay CALM and give Veeka a hug from us. Can't wait to sing her some of those ditties Birchy sang to me when I was about that age. Much love from Mom and Dad.

Rob said...

Julia... We have heard of some of your challenges and our hearts go out to you. Sounds like things are coming together a little better now though... thank God! Godspeed & love, Rob & Susan